Skip to main content

The Night The Circus Came to Town


There is something to be said about full moons…they are truly a sight to behold.   Which remind me, the story I am about to tell is a doozy.

I was heading for the circus as I got out of my car.  It was a warm summer night and as you may guess, a full moon was out as well.  I hadn’t really thought of it much, well, a little bit, but that was nothing out of the ordinary for me.  I’m strange when it comes to stuff like that, you know, I get a “funny” feeling and all.

Anyway as I walked toward the big tent something struck me as peculiar…crickets, birds, all night noises just stopped.  I froze in my tracks and just listened, sniffed…nothing that I could tell was out there, unless…I walked more cautiously this time, listening as I went.  Yeah, something was out there alright, but what?

I entered the big tent and thought if I needed to get away quickly I’d sit close to the exit, so I took a seat about three rows up and at the end.  I could see pretty much everything, which was good…so where is this feeling coming from?  I looked all around me, up and down, but nothing seemed out of place, but that feeling still hung on and was getting stronger.

About a half hour had gone by, oh, I like getting to places early, less stress for me.  The tent was almost full and with the show about to start I thought I’d get some cotton candy from one of the vendors walking around.

“Hey!  I’d like one!”  Waving my hand like crazy, the guy saw me and shouted out the price to me.
“That’ll be $3.00!”

“Are you crazy?  Don’t you think that’s a bit high for what is basically sugar that’s spun?”  I slowly got out my pocket book and took out the money.

“Lady, I don’t set the prices I just sell.  So, do you want one or not?” 

I could see that he just cherished his job.  “I said yes, although I still think it’s a bit high.  I want the pink one if you don’t mind or does that cost more?”  I gave him the money, smirking the whole time.  He thrust the swirled pink fluff of pure delight at me and continued up the bleachers.

Suddenly a man with a bright red jacket and black top hat appeared in the center ring.

“Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages welcome to the greatest show on earth!” 

Everyone yelled and clapped their hands.  It was a great night, but still…something was close by.

“May I have your attention to the center ring?  Please give a big hand to the Garcia Family and their trained horses!”

I watched in amazement as the horses, white with long manes pranced around the ring while this beautiful…woman?  I stared at her again and thought that there was something un-earthly about her.  No one is that ethereal looking that I have come across and the way she moved was like watching a mermaid underwater, if there was such a creature.  Her hair was luminous and red and flowed behind her as she rode her horse.   The one thing that caught my attention was her eyes…dark, like black pearls.

I was mesmerized by her beauty as was everyone else it seemed.  We just sat there, amazed and maybe hypnotized at the same time, then when the act was over it was like a big jolt that hit me and snapped me back into reality.  I looked around to make sure I wasn’t the only who felt like this and sure enough, I wasn’t.  Everyone was rubbing their eyes and shaking their heads in disbelief.

The next act came on without an announcement, which I thought odd, but then what did I know about running a circus…I didn’t.   It was another family with trained dogs, all different in sizes and breeds, but again that strange feeling was still hanging around, only this time…stronger. 

This act seemed to be normal, I mean, they had the dogs doing their tricks and all, but again, if you looked very carefully at the family, not one of them looked normal to me.  It was those eyes I tell you!  Black like ink and lifeless, not to mention they all moved as if in water.  Strange.

I went to take another bite of my cotton candy when all I got was the paper cone.

“Well, when did I finish eating you all up?”  I hadn’t remembered finishing it nor eating it for that matter.  I looked at the time and noticed that three hours had gone by but it was only the third act.  That’s when the prickles started crawling up my back and goose bumps speckled my arms.  Something ain’t right here. 
Getting up from my seat I was preparing to make my way down the bleachers and out the exit, when all the lights went out and a spot light beamed at the flying trapeze act.

“Oh bother, now I can’t see where I’m going!”

“Shhhh!”

 Oh shush yourself I thought.  There was an empty space where I stood, so I just parked myself there and watched.   There were four of them two men and two women.  Again, all looking odd in an un-healthy sort of way, you know, pale, but yet they didn’t look to be starving.  The eyes were the same as the horse lady, black and empty like.

One of the men in his costume, he was…how can I say this without being vulgar; it didn’t leave much to the imagination if you know what I mean.  Lordy, made me forget my manners it did.   Anyway, he was hanging by his knees swinging back and forth, arms hanging loosely.  I guess he was waiting for one of the ladies to start swinging on her swing, if that’s what you’d call them.  The other man held her swing for her as she grasped it and then off she went.  Toes pointed body all stream like she sliced through the air like a knife through butter.  It was amazing!  But that “all too amazing” feeling suddenly left me when I caught the one man staring right at me.  

“Why is he looking at me like that?”  I said it out loud, no one around me shushed me because they too all were amazed by “Madame Butterfly” there on her swing. 

My heart began to race, my pulse quickened and I needed to get out, but I couldn’t move.

“What the hell is happening to me?”  I kept my eyes on him and him on me.   If things weren’t so scary I’d be a bit turned on, but at the moment all I could think of was this guy was creeping me out. 

I don’t remember what happened next, it’s all foggy, but I woke up back at home, in my bed and in my pink nightie.    I sat up and pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

“Ouch!”

I wasn’t dreaming , then I nearly shattered the windows of my bedroom, because there on my chair was a costume, not no ordinary halloweenie costume mind you, this one was from….oh my gosh, I’ve got a naked trapeze artist in my house. 

Wondering where he was, I got out of bed and examined the sea foam green tights and sequined belt.  Yup, that was his alright, but why and how did…

“You were magnificent last night; I can’t wait to do it again tonight.”  He came at me with lust in his eyes, but I thought differently.

“I don’t know what happened here last night, but I can tell you one thing, it ain’t happening again tonight, so you might as well just put your costume back on and head on back to your circus where you belong.”  I grabbed my blanket and covered myself, although I don’t know why, I still had my clothes on, he was the one that should be covering up…well, he can wait for a few more seconds, I was enjoying the view.

“As you wish, but I will see you tonight, we have a show to do remember and you did so well last night, you were the star!”

“………….”

I didn’t know what to think little lone say.  I wasn’t in no act I knew that much was right.  What I didn’t know was that part when he was staring at me during the act, that part is all fuzzy, because that’s all I can recall.
“What exactly happened last night, and you can just keep your distance too.”
“You were on the swing, sitting there like a rare and beautiful bird.  Ah…you took my breath away.”  He looked as though sap would pour out of his mouth.  The guy was delusional.

“I see, well, I don’t remember doing that, but if you say I did, then I guess I did.  So now you can leave and …don’t come back now ya hear?”  Smiling all the while he sauntered slowly to my front door, opened it and paused, then left.

“God almighty, did I have sex with that man?”  I looked down at my nightie and then checked to make sure I still had my panties on…sure did! 

“Phew!”

The rest of the day sort of rolled by lazily and I was glad when night came.  It was the last show for the circus tonight and I was glad of it.  I got ready for bed and had my nice warm glass of milk.  It soothed my nerves perfectly.  Shutting off my lights I went to sleep pretty fast, which I was happy for.  The next morning I awoke to my bed shaking.  I opened my eyes and noticed that I wasn’t in my room anymore… I was on a train.

“Where the heck am I?”  I looked around me and I found what I didn’t want to find, those same sea foam green tights.

“He kidnapped me!”  I jumped out of my berth and landed not too gracefully on the floor.

“There she is!  All rested and ready for our next show.  Are you hungry?”  He was preparing to give me a hug when I stopped him dead.

“Don’t you come any closer you hear?  You kidnapped me and I’m getting the authorities to lock you up you nut case you!”

He just looked at me as if I had gone crazy, then his partner, the other guy showed up looking all too mouthwatering but perplexed.

“Louisa what is wrong?  Did my brother not put out last night?”  He punched my kidnapper in the arm and sniggered.

“Louisa?  You’re just as crazy as he is!  My name is Amy, Amy Bellanger.”

The two of them just looked at one another, then my kidnapper nodded to…I guess it was his brother.  He left, but came back with circus program and handed it to me.

“Look…”

I hesitantly took it and looked at each page slowly trying to find out what it was I supposed to look at.  It wasn’t long until I found it.  There they were standing in front of the net…with me with eyes just like theirs and pale as the snow is white.

The two of them smiled at me and my eyes bugged out with fear…the line “the better to eat you with my dear…” came to mind just then.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

The story of Werewolf Imprinting began in the 1800's By Eric W Jepson

The Premortal Romance we tend to remember best in 2009 is the Douglas Stewart / Lex de Azevedo cheesefest, Saturday’s Warrior, but the tradition goes back much further than that. Nephi Anderson started things off in 1898 with Added Upon, a book that at one time (at least in Nephi, Utah2) was given to every young woman to read. Added Upon was Anderson’s first book and by far his most popular—too bad, because it certainly isn’t his best—because it appeals to something deeply Mormon in us. It begins in the premortal realm and follows a boy and a girl from there, through mortality, to paradise, through the Millennium, and finally to exaltation. Out for a premortal walk one day, Honan sees Delsa’s “sweet face” and is drawn to her immediately. When she sees him, a “pleased smile overspread[s] her face” and she explains that she had been making a “dream picture” of her ideal face when he arrived and that now her “dream face seem[s] to blend with [his].” Drawn together, they converse[… and

Vamplit's Happy Blog Hopping!

It's finally here! Vamplit's Blog Hopping and today I have a great offer for you! For coming on my blog and leaving a comment I will give you an original piece of art work that I have done! But the "sweetest" thing about this is I will pick only three. So here are the rules... 1. Come see my blog 2. Leave a comment 3. Leave me your email That's it! The pieces of artwork I have chosen are the three above! Good luck!!!