Skip to main content

Trick or Treat

Halloween night, something about this holiday makes me like a kid again. I would wait for night to fall, then the sounds of distant voice yelling out the familiar, “Trick or treat!” It was more than I could stand! Then you’d come home with your bag full of candy and empty it out making a pile of your favorites no one can touch, to the pile that was just gross flavors or never heard of items.

Well, I’m all grown up now, boy am I grown up. Had I known that my body was going to develop into something that even Dolly Parton would be jealous of, I think I would have become a nun, as it stands, I didn’t know and no I didn’t hear the calling, visualizing this body in a habit…I immediately made my mind go blank. Anyway, I was invited to a Halloween party, costumes and all. You can imagine my look when Paul, he’s my partner at the law firm, told me I should dress up as a bunny and not the furry kind either. Did guys think they were funny when they said that kind of stuff? Apparently so, but it must be just for their gender, because you never saw a women laugh at that kind of remark. High school, that’s what it reminded me of.

“You just keep thinking that alright, in the meantime, I’m going back to my office where I can be an adult.”

“You’re so uptight Sara, gotta loosen up a bit, you don’t know what you’re missing!” Paul sniggered some more, jabbing his buddies in the arm.

“Oh, I know what I’m missing, and believe me, it isn’t much.” I walked into my little piece of heaven and shut the door behind me. I just stood there; eyes closed and breathed in deep. The world was nothing but a nut case. Isn’t there anyone sane left? I was brought back into reality when someone knocked on my door.

As I composed myself, I opened it and there stood the most handsome man I had ever seen. Tall, suntanned and black, thick hair, my fingers itched to run them through it. He was a picture out of GQ, chiseled features and emerald eyes that, oh, that drenched you their cool depths. I was drowning.

“Did I come at a bad time?”

What a voice too! Deep, throaty and very sexy, was I dreaming? I pinched myself to make sure, nope.

“Miss Kimble?”

“Oh, oh, um yes, I mean, no, come in…sorry about that. I, uh, I was thinking…” Yeah, thinking how much I’d love to just back you into a corner and…do things.

“Thinking…?”

“Yes, thinking that I shouldn’t just have you stand there and not…”Let you have your way with me. Now, I’m acting as bad as Paul. Snap out of it Sara!

“Can I help you?” Was all I could say, I’m so professional aren’t’ I?

“I’m here to assist, watch, and learn. In other words you are my mentor; I need to observe you and how you handle a high profile case. The name is Dylan, Dylan Whitaker. Did you not receive my email?”

I stared blankly at him, wakey, wakey Sara! “Yes, I did receive your email and I totally forgot you were coming today. I’m so sorry if I seemed all confused, this case has gotten me quite stressed out. So, did you read about the case, the file I sent you in that email?”

“Yes I did and it seems to be a difficult one at that. I can sympathize with you on the stress. I’d be stressed out too, but you come highly recommended and I’ve read so much about you and the cases you handle. You’re quite good.”

Wow, he read about me. I’m impressed; he has a mind as well as a body. He probably could dance circles around Paul. Paul…oh he is in for a treat. I was smiling from ear to ear on that thought.

“So, what do you want me to do today? Do you have any meetings, or whatever else you do as a lawyer?”

I couldn’t think of anything at that time, not that I didn’t have loads to do, because I did, but I didn’t feel like working on it, at least, not right at that moment. Work was the farthest thing from my mind.

“You want to go to a party with me tonight?” I can’t believe I had asked him. I hardly know the man and here I was acting like a school girl, no, like Paul.

“A party? What kind of party?” He didn’t look surprised, nor did he look like I was being a bit forward. In fact he looked interested in the whole idea. This is getting even better.

“It’s a Halloween party and you have to dress up. I didn’t want to go by myself and frankly, there isn’t anyone here that I’d ask…”

“Except, me right?” He raised his eyebrow and smiled. How devilish he looked. I sighed.

“Well, yeah, but you’re different. You’re not like them.” I nodded toward the others that still were standing around at the water cooler.

“Oh, I don’t know if that’s true. You don’t know me, we just met, remember? How do you know that I’m not like them?”

“For one thing, you dress impeccable, and your mannerisms are so much better than them. You act intelligent, which is such a breath of fresh air.” Then I gasped. You act intelligent, I actually said that, was I, I was. I was pompous.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…”

“Oh, you did mean it and I forgive you. Yes, I’d be delighted to go with you. What time?”

“Is eight alright? You can pick me up at my apartment.” I quickly wrote down my address and handed it to him.

“Eight it is. See you then.”

When he walked out, I wanted to faint, he had said yes to my invitation and I was going to be the envy of all the women here at the firm. Yes!

He came, right on time, but he had no mask on, just his costume, which was alright, he looked something like Hugh Hefner. I wondered if he had talked with Paul after all, I mean, it was Paul who wanted me to be a Playboy bunny. This was too close for comfort.

“No mask?” I asked.

“What and hide this face?” He lifted his chin and gave me his best profile. I was wrong, he was just like them.

“I see your point, shall we go? It’s getting late.” I tried to not act like a snob, but he was starting to rub me the wrong way.

When we arrived and was let in, it took all I could to get through the crowd. I’ve never seen so many people and everyone dressed up in some great costumes, some not so and some just outright lewd. I blushed when I saw those.

“Here I got you a drink; let’s go somewhere, where it’s not so crowded. Maybe somewhere a little bit more secluded?”

“What are you trying to do Mr. Whitaker, seduce me?” He is cute, but like I said, he was just like all the rest of them.

“Me? Why Sara you misjudge me. I just thought that it’s a bit loud and crowded and I don’t know you yet, so why not go somewhere, where we could…talk. Get to know one another better.”

Oh, he oozed charmed he did, but I couldn’t be mean and say no, or could I? No, I had to give him a chance. So I followed him. We found a nice place in the yard, far away from everyone and quite frankly nestled in a nice wall of evergreens. It was dark and secluded alright, I wondered if he was ever here before.
We talked and I told him about how I got started and then he told me all about himself. Seems he was top of his class at Harvard. During that time out there, he showed me his true colors. He was a gentleman, just rough around the edges still, but they were nice edges, real nice edges.

After a while, things heated up and I had to test the waters, so I let him kiss me and I have to say I never had a kiss like that. It took all my strength to keep me from ripping off his shirt and whatever else I could get my hands on. He was intense! I thought the safest place for my hands were on his face, so I gently held his face as we continued to kiss, passionately, but then something odd was happening. My fingers felt a ridge, just at the hair line. I didn’t notice anything odd about his face before, but no, there was a definite edge there. I began to play with it, feel where it was going, but he never said a word to me all the while I did that, which is good. Either he was so into me or, I don’t know what, but it was all around his face.

I couldn’t stand it anymore, I had to find out so I placed my fingers underneath it’s’ lip and pulled. A sucky, tacky noise hit the silence between us and within minutes it was off. I was mortified and sickened. There before me was a creature for all said purposes, not Dylan, whose face all pocked full of holes and indentations to which a thick, and dark liquid poured out of their crevices, vile and putrid. It smelled of decay.

“Ah, thank you for removing my mask; I was getting rather warm under there.”

Comments

  1. My, my. Gruesome ending to a story I thought was going to be a little more romantic in nature. Great story!

    Blaze

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

Horror Book Covers

Designing book covers is like giving birth, it can be a "pain" and sometimes no "labor" at all. There is a pleasure in the end result, when everything you put into it finally comes together and says, "THAT'S IT!" Not always does it come right away, but after many trials and errors (and I haven't had many of them)you find something that works and it unfolds in front of you. My most difficult cover was "Water Hazard" took me weeks only because the author couldn't make up his mind and when he did, he didn't quite like it and it needed to be tweaked a bit (more like ALOT), and when the cover was finally to his liking...he didn't use it! Now, of course, he wasn't an author from Vamplit, because all authors from Vamplit are awesome! Am I right?! I've never, ever had a problem with doing a cover for Vamplit, NEVER. In fact, I can usually spit out a cover in record time and have it turn out perfect usually the first