Skip to main content

Author bits and bits

I believe I can write, or so I'm told by many, those who are authors themselves, but one can never know the true depths that goes into publishing a book unless you experience it yourself. Oh sure, you can read what published authors have to say and the trials that they go through...just like you're reading right now! But now that I am published and writing the sequel to Birthright, I find that it's a work in progress, it never stops!

I don't know how many times I have read and re-read my novel,and just before I was done with the edits before handing it over to my publisher, I struggled to get through it. I thought if I read one more "Candra this" and "Kane that" I would scream, but you know, I'd do it all again in a heart beat because it's not just a novel, it is your talent, your pride and if you don't show your best, why even bother going through all that being an author has to do! Really, why then bother with finding typos, or wrong tenses or change a paragraph or two just so that it sounds perfect...why?

I am a perfectionist and I am with not just my writing, I was when I was a ballerina and I am with my artwork. Half the time I don't like what I've done, but that's the perfectionist in me coming out. I am very hard on myself.

Dancing for me was a struggle, although I excelled in it and performed in the Nutcracker several times and had my own dance studio, I never thought I was good. Could I do a double pirouette, no, well, yes, very slowly and it was like flying the first time I achieved it, totally magical, but I couldn't do a fouetté rond de jambe en tournant if my life depended on it and I so wanted to be able to do it. I worked my butt off everyday in class though and that's what I do now.

To make this short, if you want to come across as a professional, your work has to show it. It's you, it not only shows who you are, but it also tells the reader what kind of writer you are as well. Oh, and one thing, no matter how bad the review may be, don't and I repeat "don't" show your anger or disapproval, that is one sure way of looking unprofessional and what following you did have or want to have will be short lived.

Well, that's my speech, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just getting my voice out there.

Happy writing and reading to you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

Horror Book Covers

Designing book covers is like giving birth, it can be a "pain" and sometimes no "labor" at all. There is a pleasure in the end result, when everything you put into it finally comes together and says, "THAT'S IT!" Not always does it come right away, but after many trials and errors (and I haven't had many of them)you find something that works and it unfolds in front of you. My most difficult cover was "Water Hazard" took me weeks only because the author couldn't make up his mind and when he did, he didn't quite like it and it needed to be tweaked a bit (more like ALOT), and when the cover was finally to his liking...he didn't use it! Now, of course, he wasn't an author from Vamplit, because all authors from Vamplit are awesome! Am I right?! I've never, ever had a problem with doing a cover for Vamplit, NEVER. In fact, I can usually spit out a cover in record time and have it turn out perfect usually the first