Skip to main content

Twas the Night I Beat Victor

TWAS THE NIGHT I BEAT VICTOR BY SUE MYDLIAK
2010 ISSUES, THE HORROR OF CHRISTMAS FINALISTS
Jan
03
2011
Twas the Night I Beat Victor

T’was the night before Christmas, when all through my house
You were not stirring, you big biting louse;

I hung all my nighties by the chimney with care,

In hopes that Sir Victor soon would be there;
My sisters were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of rapture danced in their heads;

And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my room sat,
Had just finished the day with a big, drawn out spat,

When out on the lawn I heard someone chatter,

I sprang from the chair to see what was the matter.

I went to the window in a quick dash,
Ripped open the curtains and got a hot flash.

The moon on your breast looked like new-fallen snow

Gave me jitters galore as you stood just below,

Then, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

a flashy cool smile, and your appearance so cavalier,

With a body, so lively and so quick,

I knew in a moment it must be Sir Vic.

More rapid than eagles you to my window did came,

And whistled, and shouted, and called me by name;

“Now, Candra! now, Candy! now, Cantrix and Can!

On, Candics! on Candies! Oh skip it…come!

To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!

He came through my window and did not stall.
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
We met with an obstacle, which was my eye.

I screamed very loudly, the idiot did flew,

And he wondered exactly what he should do!

And then, in an instant, I heard on the roof,
The tapping and shuffling of my burden of proof.
As I drew in my head, and turned completely around,

Down the chimney my vampire came with a bound.

He was dressed all in black, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of joy, someone I wanted to smack,

For blackening my eye I had to attack.
I lunged at him quickly and held my hand back!

and aimed my hand carefully to his face I did smack!

Then out of the blue a tear did appear

on his face he did scrunch up and ran out of fear.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he ran out of sight,
“Happy Christmas to all, and to Candra a good-night.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

Red Flags to newbie authors...

I being a newbie myself have come across some things that sent out signals to cause me to think twice. Being published is great, you may not make a living at it, but that's not why you write.  You write because it is your passion.  With that being said, then take your time to look for a reputable publisher.  If an author friend or someone you know who is published by someone they like working for then by all means go for it, but if you know nothing about the publisher search them.  Find out what  you can and even then you're not told everything. I searched Trestle Press and found nothing wrong with them, but I still had this innate feeling of doom, well not doom, but a twinge of not too sure if I wanted to sign up with them.  I signed the contract, which was a one paragraph sheet of paper (red flag #1) and then a bunch of lines to where I would write what submissions I was sending in for them to publish.  Still nervous. I filled it out and sent it in then I started asking ho