Skip to main content

The woes of a writer...

We write our dreams, hopes down on paper or type our thoughts out on our computer, but however we do it, we do it with pride, love and great affection.  It is with all that, that when we finally reach our goal of it becoming published do we celebrate its birth, but then and not always, we find a fault and our world comes crashing down.
Its like having a new car and finding a scratch on it and we think that little, tiny scratch is as big as the Grand Canyon and it is no longer "new".  
I know, been there.  My novel, Birthright had one of those big scratches in it and I felt like a failure, but I got to thinking, everyone who has ever read my novel loved it.  Did they see the flaws? "No."  They only saw what they read and to them it was grand. " Can't wait for the sequel!" they said.  It's those wonderful readers that keep our worries at bay, keep us sane and realize that all is right with the world and that our scratch is just that a "scratch".  Nothing more, nothing less.  
So, with that, we pick up our hearts, place them back into our chest, plaster a smile on our face and once again, pen our dreams away on paper...or whatever is available within reach.  You my friends, authors in the spotlight are dreamers who cast wonderful scenes down for all to read.  Do not worry about the rock that is in the road, but kick it aside and carry on!  

Comments

  1. I'm not kicking any rocks because my knee hurts, but the rest of what you say makes perfect sense to me, Sue. One of my Woman in Horror ladies was so distraught over a mean-spirited reviewer that she was in tears when she read the glowing tribute I gave her: every word of it true.I loved your story. Was it perfect? No. Did it matter to me? No. I gave it a Five Star review, and I stand by that. I loved the STORY. To me, that's what matters.

    Blaze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaze...you are wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am!! It took all weekend, but I have finally managed to wade through the overflowing e-mail inbox, etc., etc., and have only just arrived.
    Thanks for sharing this, Sue. You are so right, of course. As for my issue, I have heard back from Gaynor the great and we will have those rocks kicked out of our road, as you so poetically put it. This post of yours simply provides more perspective for me.
    Thanks.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

The story of Werewolf Imprinting began in the 1800's By Eric W Jepson

The Premortal Romance we tend to remember best in 2009 is the Douglas Stewart / Lex de Azevedo cheesefest, Saturday’s Warrior, but the tradition goes back much further than that. Nephi Anderson started things off in 1898 with Added Upon, a book that at one time (at least in Nephi, Utah2) was given to every young woman to read. Added Upon was Anderson’s first book and by far his most popular—too bad, because it certainly isn’t his best—because it appeals to something deeply Mormon in us. It begins in the premortal realm and follows a boy and a girl from there, through mortality, to paradise, through the Millennium, and finally to exaltation. Out for a premortal walk one day, Honan sees Delsa’s “sweet face” and is drawn to her immediately. When she sees him, a “pleased smile overspread[s] her face” and she explains that she had been making a “dream picture” of her ideal face when he arrived and that now her “dream face seem[s] to blend with [his].” Drawn together, they converse[… and

Vamplit's Happy Blog Hopping!

It's finally here! Vamplit's Blog Hopping and today I have a great offer for you! For coming on my blog and leaving a comment I will give you an original piece of art work that I have done! But the "sweetest" thing about this is I will pick only three. So here are the rules... 1. Come see my blog 2. Leave a comment 3. Leave me your email That's it! The pieces of artwork I have chosen are the three above! Good luck!!!