Skip to main content

The Clearing

The Clearing

Cold and gray, the day wears on as I make my way toward the forest.

“What was I thinking? I’m not going to find it there, yet they told me it’s the only way.”

Talking out loud is the only way to keep from turning back and into the warmth of my home.

Icy cold, the winds’ breath comes sweeping around my neck, sending shivers down my spine. I quicken my steps.

Finally, it stands before me like a towering city, dark and foreboding. Beams of light cast their willowy arms through the canopy urging me in.

I take a deep breath and make my way through the maze of black soldiers with arms outstretched toward heaven, as if they themselves beg for warmth.

“How much farther is it!” I ask. “This is insane! If it’s not here I’ll see to it there’s hell to pay!” I press on.

After a while, ahead in the clearing, it’s like seeing a whole new world, the kind you only hear about in stories told to children to excite their imaginations.

It is glorious and sparkling like diamonds. My eyes pain at the sight, but Oh! It is heaven!
With winter soon on its way, I wonder why this is not so here. Stepping into the clearing, warmth penetrates my face. An inner peace seeps into my soul.

Finding a spot dead center, I sit and lift my face toward the warmth radiating from above. I close my eyes and breathe in the life that fills this place. Then something odd happens. Dizziness, with a faint pain deep within, begins to intensify. As if someone stabs me, the pain is excruciating, unbearable.

My eyes fly open, yet I see nothing. The pain increases and I scream out, but no words come forth. Panic gluts my throat, I try to leave but can’t.

“God help me! It’s evil here, I don’t want to die!”

I faint…

Opening my eyes I find myself in a room, white and sterile. Everything looks hazy. “Where am I?” I ask.

“Well, good afternoon, Katrina,” the doctor says. “You gave us a terrible fright. We almost lost you!” He smiles warmly. “I think we got all the cancer. Rest easy now. You’ve been through quite an ordeal.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

The story of Werewolf Imprinting began in the 1800's By Eric W Jepson

The Premortal Romance we tend to remember best in 2009 is the Douglas Stewart / Lex de Azevedo cheesefest, Saturday’s Warrior, but the tradition goes back much further than that. Nephi Anderson started things off in 1898 with Added Upon, a book that at one time (at least in Nephi, Utah2) was given to every young woman to read. Added Upon was Anderson’s first book and by far his most popular—too bad, because it certainly isn’t his best—because it appeals to something deeply Mormon in us. It begins in the premortal realm and follows a boy and a girl from there, through mortality, to paradise, through the Millennium, and finally to exaltation. Out for a premortal walk one day, Honan sees Delsa’s “sweet face” and is drawn to her immediately. When she sees him, a “pleased smile overspread[s] her face” and she explains that she had been making a “dream picture” of her ideal face when he arrived and that now her “dream face seem[s] to blend with [his].” Drawn together, they converse[… and

Vamplit's Happy Blog Hopping!

It's finally here! Vamplit's Blog Hopping and today I have a great offer for you! For coming on my blog and leaving a comment I will give you an original piece of art work that I have done! But the "sweetest" thing about this is I will pick only three. So here are the rules... 1. Come see my blog 2. Leave a comment 3. Leave me your email That's it! The pieces of artwork I have chosen are the three above! Good luck!!!