Skip to main content

I'll say it again...

I know I've said some things on marketing yourself as an author, and how to get your books out to the masses, but I've got more to add.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have business cards with your book, author website and author email on it to pass out to people wherever you are!  Novel postcards are awesome too, because on the one side you have your book cover with a link to where people can purchase them, on the other side a synopsis of what it's about.  Right there, that simple little 3x5 card can sell a book in minutes!  I kid you not!

For example, I went to a book signing at Hanks Farm Restaurant, given by the Book Mouse and as always,
I had my business cards and novel postcards with me.  As we sat down at the table, oh, this was a dinner book signing event, anyway, as we sat down we shook hands with three people that sat next to me and my husband, another author friend came in, Jakob Waitekus, and sat down next to us as well.  So, names were given out and conversations kicked in.  Much to my surprise, my husband mentioned that Jakob and I were authors as well with the Book Mouse and so that's where I got my motor running.

They asked what I wrote and that's when I gave out my novel postcards.  All three of them read the synopsis and were quite eager to get their copies as well, they even asked me to sign their postcards too!  I also told them that I would be at the Riverfest, August 3rd, which is in Ottawa, Illinois selling and signing my books. They couldn't wait and asked about other books that I had written, to which, I told them and said that they'd find all my books on Amazon under my name.

Needing to get Jakob noticed about his book, I asked him if he had his business cards to give to them as well, and sadly he didn't have them with him. He could of had a sale, if he had his cards.

It's so very important, even if your book isn't even published yet, to get yourself business cards and novel postcards, and give them out religiously!  I even went as far as getting a large window decal of my book
and where to get it and put it on the back window of my Smart Car.

It doesn't take a lot of time to make them, in fact, you can go through Vista Print, Walgreen's or even Office Max and get them made!  All you need to do is either use your own image or one of theirs and fill in the information.  That's it!  Simple right?  Yes!

I got to say, can't always rely on others to market your book, especially if you self-publish.  Just takes a little thought, and thinking outside the box.

Good luck to all you new authors!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Scary" Scene from my novel...Birthright (Happy Halloween!)

Horror Web Tour October 24-31, 2011 What better month than October for horror writers to crawl out of their coffins and spread the Halloween spirit! Are you interested in winning great horror fiction and Halloween goodies the week of October 24-31, 2011? Click on the links below to participating authors' websites. Each author has a contest to enter on their site. Over 80 chances to win! the gory details: 1) HAVE A SPOOKY FUN TIME! 2) INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND SPREAD THE WORD! 3) THIS TOUR STARTS: Monday, October 24, 2011 at Midnight (PST) THIS TOUR ENDS: Monday, October 31, 2011 at Midnight (PST) Winners will be drawn and posted November 1, 2011 4) MEET AND MINGLE WITH THE AUTHORS! EXPERIENCE A NEW DESTINATION AT EVERY STOP! PARTICIPATE IN EVERY SITE'S CONTEST AND BE ENTERED FOR CHANCES TO WIN MULTIPLE PRIZES! EVERY BLOG VISITED IS ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO WIN! 5) PARTICIPATION AT ALL SITES IS RECOMMENDED, BUT NOT REQUIRED. THE MORE SITES YOU HOP, THE BETTE

Horror Book Covers

Designing book covers is like giving birth, it can be a "pain" and sometimes no "labor" at all. There is a pleasure in the end result, when everything you put into it finally comes together and says, "THAT'S IT!" Not always does it come right away, but after many trials and errors (and I haven't had many of them)you find something that works and it unfolds in front of you. My most difficult cover was "Water Hazard" took me weeks only because the author couldn't make up his mind and when he did, he didn't quite like it and it needed to be tweaked a bit (more like ALOT), and when the cover was finally to his liking...he didn't use it! Now, of course, he wasn't an author from Vamplit, because all authors from Vamplit are awesome! Am I right?! I've never, ever had a problem with doing a cover for Vamplit, NEVER. In fact, I can usually spit out a cover in record time and have it turn out perfect usually the first